Point of View Store in Waikiki, Hawaii
In 1988, Noe Foster designed a blueprint for a new business venture that would woo Asian and European customers for more than a decade. “I spent three months up to my elbows in visitor industry reports at the Hawaii Department of Business Economic Development library, “ commented Noe Foster. “I combed through any raw data profiling the Japanese market I could get my hands on. I immersed myself in everything Japanese from magazines to comic strips to TV shows. The concept of Point of View came into focus then.”
With her business blueprint in hand, Noe secured start-up financing and convinced the largest Waikiki Shopping Center to lease her retail space. At the time, Asian investors were infusing wads of cash into a bubble economy. Retail space in the area was going for top dollar at more than $200 a square foot per month. Foster was not deterred. “I was 21 years old when I launched Point of View,” Foster revealed, “I felt fearless!”
Point of View grew and expanded to include manufacturing, three retail stores, and a global mail order business that exclusively sold Point of View signature playwear for golf and tennis enthusiasts.
“Bull’s-eye! My business blueprint squarely hit the mark,” said Foster. “90% of our business came from Japan with the other 10% from Europe and Australia. We sold hundreds of thousands of Point of View pieces over the years. To this day when I see someone walking on the street wearing a Point of View design, I still have to resist the urge to give them a hug.”